Educate Yourself About Law

How To Improve The Outcome Of Your Court Case

by Erika Reed

Do you have a pending legal issue? Could be you have a civil or criminal case in court. Read the excerpt below for a few tips on how to improve the outcome of your case. 

Work With an Experienced Solicitor

Conduct some due diligence before hiring a solicitor to represent you in court. Check his or her specialisation and experience. You would also be interested in the professional's winning history. The solicitor should be someone you trust and understands your needs. Further, he or she should be reasonably priced. Some solicitors will provide pro bono services ranging from free consultation to free legal representation to people who do not have sufficient funds.  

Consider Out of Court Agreements

In Australia, people are encouraged to settle civil suits through an out of court process. Out of court processes are a quick way to solve your issues. Besides, they give conflicting parties more control over the outcome of the case. Out of court settlements can involve negotiation, mediation or arbitration. Once parties agree, the plaintiff signs a settlement contract that prohibits him or her from making a similar claim against the defendant. 

Gather Sufficient Evidence

You will require evidence to prove your case in court. You must be truthful to your lawyer about what transpired. It helps him or her determine the type of evidence he or she will require to present in court or negotiation meetings. Evidence may range from witness statements, contracts, photos of the incident and bank and hospital records. You may also need someone to collaborate your alibi. 

Know Your Limits

Most people will go to court with a win-win mentality. This mindset can significantly affect the outcome of your case. For instance, in some criminal cases, the prosecution may offer you a reduced sentence if you plead a guilty charge. Do not refuse the offer without consulting your lawyer. He or she might advise you to take the offer if there is little possibility of winning in court. The lawyer can also renegotiate the deal to reduce your sentence.

Court Conduct

Improper court conduct will affect your case negatively. For instance, if you violate the terms of bail, the judge may hold you in contempt of court. Giving false testament under oath is known as perjury. In Australia, it is considered a criminal offence with a maximum sentence of fifteen years. Besides, you should not falsify or hide documents to improve the outcome of your case.

Court processes can be lengthy. As such, you must be patient. Your solicitor should keep you updated on the progress and developments in your case.